What is Summer P-EBT
The Summer P-EBT program has been approved for Summer 2023. To qualify, your child must
- be enrolled in a brick and mortar National School Lunch Program (NSLP) participating school on May 1, 2023
- be eligible for free or reduced-price school meals during the 2022-23 school year
- Who do I contact about school meal benefit eligibility?
To apply for free or reduced-price meals.
- You may apply at any time during the school year if your household size or income changes, or if you begin receiving Food Stamps, FEP, FDPIR or other benefits. You may also update your application by phone at any time during the year if your income decreases or your household size increases.
- Hard copies can be obtained from any school or you may call 801-567-8765 or 801-567-8769 to have one emailed or mailed to you.
- Electronic copies can be downloaded from below and returned to Julie Dunn at Nutrition Services 7905 S. Redwood Road West Jordan Ut 84088.
To find information about your current free or reduced-price meal eligibility please contact Julie Dunn at 801-567-8765.
If you were not determined eligible for free or reduced-price meals during the 2022-23 school year, you can still submit an application through your school by May 1, 2023.
Summer P-EBT can help you purchase food during the summer months. The benefit for Summer P-EBT is a one-time payment of $120 per eligible student. Eligible students can also take part in local summer meal programs. Use the Summer Site locator tool to find the summer meal program nearest you starting in May 2023.
The due date for free reduced meal applications is May 1 2023.
How do I know if I am eligible to receive P-EBT?
P-EBT eligibility* is determined by:
- your school's participation in the National School Lunch Program
- your student’s free or reduced-price school meal status
*We would encourage you to contact your local school if you would like to apply for free or reduced-price meals. Applications for the 2022-23 school year must be submitted online with your school or received in person or by mail on or before May 1, 2023. Utahns Against Hunger has a tool for contacting your school.
Do I have to apply for P-EBT?
Student’s will automatically receive the Summer 2023 P-EBT benefit if they were eligible for free reduced meals as of May 1, 2023.
How will the P-EBT benefits be paid?
Students who received SNAP from September 2022 to May 2023 will receive their Summer 2023 P-EBT benefits on their SNAP EBT card. Check for P-EBT funds to be added to the SNAP EBT card by the end of July 2023.
For non-SNAP households, if you qualify for free reduced meals with your school, and had P-EBT benefits previously, your benefits will be added to your existing P-EBT card. If you do not have this card, please see the FAQ section below for instructions on how to request a replacement card. If a new card is required, once you have been approved, you will receive a P-EBT card in the mail.
How do I use the P-EBT card?
If a new card is required, you will need to activate your card before using it. You may use it to purchase food.
Follow the steps below when using your card:
- Activate your card before shopping by selecting your PIN. You will receive instructions on how to set your PIN for your card.
- When selecting your PIN you will be restricted from selecting numbers that are considered High Risk such as 1111, 5567, 6543, 1234, 1581. You will need to select 4 unique numbers and none of those numbers can be in order either forward or backward. If you hear a message after entering in 4 numbers that state you have made an invalid selection you will need to choose a different PIN.
- Download the connectebt mobile app or make yourself familiar with the website connectebt.com.
- Before you shop, always check your balance.
- At the store, choose EBT on card reader machine and swipe your card.
- Enter your PIN on the keypad. The machine will show ****.
- Press the OK or ENTER key.
- The cashier will enter the purchase amount, which will then be displayed on the card reader machine.
- If the amount is correct, press the YES key.
- The cashier will hand you your receipt. Please make sure the information on the receipt is correct.
- Keep this receipt so you will know your new balance the next time you shop.
P-EBT cards can be used like debit cards at most stores that sell food. You can see a list of approved stores in your area by entering your zip code into the retailer locator.
Below is a list of items you can and cannot purchase.
You CAN buy unprepared foods such as:
- Bread and cereals
- Fruits and vegetables
- Meats, fish, and poultry
- Dairy products
- Plants and seeds to grow food
You CANNOT buy items such as:
- Prepared foods, i.e., hot foods and foods that can be eaten in the store
- Beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes, or tobacco
- Non-food items, i.e., pet food, soap, paper products, cleaning supplies
- Vitamins and medicines
- Personal hygiene items, i.e., shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, cosmetics
Save your P-EBT card in the event that you receive additional P-EBT funds.
How do I know if my child is eligible for P-EBT benefits?
Any student that was eligible for free or reduced-price meals and received a notification letter from their school district for school year 2022-23 (breakfast and/or lunch) may receive a P-EBT benefit.
The due date for requests to review student benefits to be reconsidered for issuance of Summer 2023 P-EBT benefits will be August 16, 2023. If you have checked your card and no benefits are issued by the end of July 2023, you can contact your school district/charter school food nutrition service department.
Is an application required for this program?
An application for P-EBT is not required if your school had a closure due to COVID-19, however you must be signed up and receive a letter notifying you of your eligible status for free or reduced-price school meals to participate in P-EBT. We encourage you to contact your local school if you would like to apply for free or reduced-price meals.
- The deadline to apply for free or reduced-price school lunch is May 1, 2023. Applications for free or reduced-price school lunch must be received by your school online or postmarked by this date to be processed. Utahns Against Hunger has a tool for contacting your school.
How much money will I receive?
The benefit for Summer 2023 P-EBT is $40 per month for a total of $120 per qualifying student. The benefit will be issued one time for the whole amount.
How will my child receive these benefits?
P-EBT benefits will be issued on an EBT card, similar to a debit card. If you already have a SNAP EBT card and qualify for P-EBT benefits, the money will be automatically added to your card.
Please see the “How do I use the P-EBT card” section above for instructions on how to use your card.
When will these benefits be available?
P-EBT benefits will be distributed by the end of July 2023. If your school district/charter school food service department is participating, you can check with them to confirm your student’s eligibility. The P-EBT team will only be able to let you know that a benefit has been issued for your student once the payment has been processed. Please check with your school district/charter school food service department for more information on your student’s eligibility. You may also check your card for P-EBT benefits.
Are they retroactive?
The benefits are only for the summer of 2023. Previous program years are closed and all reported benefits issued. We would encourage you to contact your school district/charter school food service department if you would like to apply for free or reduced-price meals or discuss your student’s eligibility. Utahns Against Hunger has a tool for contacting your school.
Where can I use the P-EBT card?
The P-EBT card can be used at any retail food store that accepts SNAP EBT cards. Utah has more than 1,400 approved retailers that can accept and process SNAP purchases with an EBT card. These retailers range from supermarkets to convenience stores and farmer’s markets. You can see a list of approved stores in your area by entering your zip code into the retailer locator.
Can my child still use their school’s summer meal program while receiving P-EBT?
Yes, participating in the P-EBT program does not impact your child(ren)’s summer meal program or any future free or reduced-price meal eligibility.
Will P-EBT be counted as a public charge?
No, the use of these benefits does not impact your or your child(ren)’s immigration status. The public charge test will not consider P-EBT benefits.
How long are these benefits valid?
You must use these benefits within 274 days of when they are issued. Once benefits have expired from the card they cannot be reissued.
What if I have moved?
Please make sure that your correct mailing address is listed with your school for each of your students. If you need to change the address associated with your P-EBT card please refer to the section below and include the requested information in your contact email.
If I can’t find my answer in this FAQ, who can I contact?
You can contact your school district/charter school food service department for eligibility questions including:
- Has my school submitted their request for Summer P-EBT payments?
- Was my child included in the request?
- Was my child eligible for Summer P-EBT?
If you need to replace your P-EBT card, are having trouble setting up your PIN, or need to update your mailing address after July 1, 2023:
- Send an email to PEBT@utah.gov with the following information:
- Subject Line: PEBT Card Issues
- Body of the email:
- Description of your issue
- Full name for all children who were enrolled as of May 1, 2023
- Birthdates for all children who were enrolled as of May 1, 2023
- State Student ID or SSID for each child (this is not required but is most accurate to locate accounts; do not submit your child’s’ school lunch number.)
- Your full mailing address including any apartment, lot, unit numbers and zip code
- Your name as it is listed with the school (if there is another guardian in the home include their name)
- Your contact information
If I can’t find my answer in this FAQ who can I contact?
You can send an email with your inquiry to email@example.com